Lytag Sportag is a secondary aggregate manufactured by pelletizing fly ash in specially designed dish pelletizing pans. The pellets are then heated on a sinter strand to a temperature of around 1100°C. The result is a hard, honeycombed structure of interconnecting voids within the aggregate. The particles formed are rounded in shape and range in size from 4–8 mm.
- Land Drainage – The aggregate is ideal for smaller land drainage projects. Its rounded shape and regular grading give excellent hydraulic conductivity. It is used to construct golf course greens and is used in slit trenching and gravel banding, including Shelton Systems. For further information please contact the Lytag sales office.
- Sports Fields – The product is excellent for both open trenching and for turf slitting. For further information please contact the Lytag sales office.
Features and benefits:
- Stability – They will not degrade, clog or impede drainage. It will aid long life and high performance to any scheme.
- Cost saving – It is half the weight of natural stone or gravel, with savings available in transportation and laying costs.
- Ease of placing – Being a rounded aggregate, they flow easily and quickly into position, reducing any need for specialist placing techniques.
- Use in soft ground – In wet and difficult ground conditions, they can be used when it would be difficult or impossible to transport heavier natural aggregate.
- Pellet shape – Due to the rounded shape of the pellet, no damage is caused to plastic pipes, membranes or bags.
- Non-compactable – Unlike irregular shaped aggregate, which over time often compact and silt up, The rounded shape maximizes the proportions of voids necessary for efficient drainage and aeration. Even after many years of service underground the compaction is minimal so free flowing properties are maintained.
- High absorption – Rapid dispersion of water is improved by both high absorption characteristics and non-compatibility (A soak away system using Lytag products can retain as much as one third its weight in water). Due to its non-compatibility, it offers a much improved rate of hydraulic conductivity when compared to natural aggregates.
- Manual handling – Due to weighing less natural aggregate, handling is less arduous and the risk of physical injury is reduced.
- Lytag can aid in water retention, water dispersion and significantly improves plant root structure.
- The wholly manufactured aggregate, manufactured from the waste product reduces fly ash disposal and less virgin aggregate extraction is required.
- Lytag products are approximately 50% of the weight of normal aggregate, resulting in more efficient use of transportation and a reduction in harmful emissions.
DOP certificate (CE mark) available on request.
ISO 9001, 14001 and 18001 certificates, BES 6001 certificate (excellent rating).