Coventry is a city of movements; for struggling workers, for women, for political reformers, for ravers, for refugees. The UK's motor city. The UK's bicycle city. A center of the UK's watchmaking trade. A City of Culture that uses its past to forge its future. Coventry Moves!
Its Upper Precinct was a very concrete heavy city center, partly because of the style at the time, and partly out of necessity to ensure it could be re-built as quickly as possible after the Blitz damage.
The project had access to a partial fund of £7.75 million from the Government’s Local Growth Fund through Coventry and Warwickshire Local Enterprise Partnership (CWLEP) as part of the overall £11.8 million scheme.
The package of works included; the installation of enhanced paving, street furniture, lighting, water features, planting, and the restoration of the historical Levelling Stone monument that was originally placed to commemorate the re-build of Coventry after the 1940-1942 enemy attacks. With the initial removal of the 'big green elevator' and huge concrete, once considered an eyesore, a clear view of the cathedral can now be seen, a view that has not been enjoyed since the 1970s.
Almost every design element of this project included natural stone of some sort, making the relationship between the contractor Eurovia, the City Council, and BBS as the supplier, vital to complete each task on time and on budget.
The circular shaped 'show stopping' water features created in a combination of both Italian Porphyry and Portuguese buff granite - a place where many people are often seen enjoying the weather. The benches and planters created in Portuguese buff granite, none of which barely had the same two pieces throughout, putting the pressure on BBS to individually CAD each and every one.
The project covering the entirety of the Upper Precinct and continuing on Market Way, and Smithfield way, saw the complete removal of everything in situ and replaced with an unrecognizable scenery. All in time for Coventry Moves the City of Culture event.
BBS Italian Porphyry Paving and Setts
Newcastle University - Armstrong Building
Greenfield Crescent, Edgbaston - Transformed with new Portuguese granite
Dukes Court Transformation - Woking Town Centre's Business District
© 2022 NBS Enterprises Ltd. All rights reserved.